Yesterday, I read an article about the benefits of eating healthy snacks in between meals. Some of the reasons to snack were:
- Eating three meals a day with two or three healthy snacks in between can help keep your metabolism and energy up through the day.
- It helps you eat less at mealtimes.
- It helps you get all your vitamins and fit in all the nutrients your body needs.
- It puts you in a good mood.
- It prevents fast food cravings before dinner time.
Also, the article gave some ideas for healthy snacks, such as:
- Peanut butter on a whole-wheat English muffin
- A hard-boiled egg with black pepper
- One cup of mixed cereal (like bran flakes, Wheat Chex, and oat bran flakes)
- Sliced cucumbers with a piece of cheese
- Three cups of microwave popcorn
- Energy bar containing at least four grams of protein
- Two slices of low-sodium deli turkey and grapes
- Small bowl of plain oatmeal topped with berries
- Handful of almonds and dried cranberries