A man over the age of 50 years old in Staten Island caught the West Nile virus from a mosquito bite. The Health Department sprayed pesticides in Staten Island three times in order to reduce the moquitos and the risk for the virus.
It is extremely important for New Yorkers, especially those older than 50 years old to avoid mosquito bites. People above the age of 50 are more likely to become seriously ill, and may even die if they become infected.
Here are some tips to reduce your chances of getting a mosquito bite:
- Reduce the time you spend outdoors
- Make sure your windows have screens, and repair or replace screens that have tears or holes
- Make sure there is no standing water around your home
- Make sure swimming pools are clean and chlorinated
- Wear mosquito repellant when you are outdoors
- Wear long sleeves and pants in the morning and evening
Some more info: