1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to secondary-content

Harlem Recycling - Earth Day reminds us how to recycle in NYC

Comments

Laura wrote

That's pretty cool. I definitely didn't know you had to take the caps off of your bottles when you recycled them.. or that you could even recycle your empty milk cartons - and with the bottles and cans?? Who knew?!

annamaria wrote

Thanks! I had NO idea that milk cartons went with bottles and cans...or that you could recycle metal hangers!

lan9 wrote

Thanks! Incredibly helpful post! Does anyone know if the stuff you are recycling can go into plastic bags? Or does it have to go directly in the bin? I know the plastic bags aren't recyclable, but I'm not sure how else to get my apt.'s stuff into the bins with out them!

Riverside wrote

If your apartment building has large bins for recycling, they should be lined with clear plastic bags. (The same size as the large black bags you would put your trash in). This should be provided by your landlord. All tenants should not use their own smaller plastic bags. Instead, they should dump the recycleables out into the larger bag that lines the bin.

Something I find useful is to put my paper recycleables into a brown paper grocery bag. This way, I can just recycle the whole bag and its contents without having to dump it out. Plastics, unfortunately, need to be recycled without the plastic bag.

Also, many grocery stores and pharmacies now have places where you can recycle your plastic bags, so rather than throwing them out you can take them with you next time you're there!

lan9 wrote

Thank you so much Riverside! I've been recycling all wrong. I'll make sure to stop using plastic bags. Using paper bags is a great idea...they're bigger anyway :)

cesar wrote

Speaking of recycling, I recently discovered RecycleBank. It has an interesting program where when you recycle, based on the weight of your recyclables, you can get rewards. I don't think it is in NYC yet, but they are testing it on the Columbia University Morningside campus in dorms.

Since our area does not have this program (yet), you can request the service from the City. Check out the website on how it works:

kemjmom wrote

Did not know abouth the milk carton...will pay closer attention to size of bottle.

Thanks for the post!

medea wrote

I am a new member of the internet scene and came across this project by chance while searching for Earth Day ideas. Our school thought this was a wonderful way to promote community awareness and our local store, GIANT, was receptive to the idea. The children enjoyed the project and were extremely creative in their designs.What a great way for everyone to get involved!

lan9 wrote

That's great medea! What was the project?

Coll5 wrote

Thanks for posting this article!

prowall wrote

You have made some great noting in your post. I think the world has now become a more e-mail centric community than postal mail therefore use of paper has surely come down. Also cartons can surely be re-cycled to save paper. Thanks for this wonderful post. I pledge to do my very best to save further environmental degradation.

prowall wrote

Your Ideas for Earth Day are brilliant, in fact we can all think something similar. But do we at all implement such ideas for long enough. We all get excited with such dates but sooner after we forget it as well.

sak2109 wrote

awesome points here folks!

prowall wrote

Recycling is managed better in western countries, if you've seen in some other countries plastic bags and snacks packets are left over on the roads which leads to clogging during rains.

prowall wrote

Hi... very well said, thanks for sharing your knowledge and what you feel we can do to bring about a small change in the way we care for the environment.

JaneMiddleton wrote

It's also easy to recycle cans if you crush them first using an aluminium or steel can crusher

NestorY wrote

It's been 40 years ago since the first celebration of Earth Day happen and the goal still remains the same, to remind each and everyone about the environmental awareness and appreciation of mother earth. It was celebrated yearly by events, rallies and environmental measures such as planting trees and conserving energy. Let us also take our part for the betterment of the earth - not just on earth month, but everyday as we live.